the Illustration

creating an illustration of the phone turned out easier then I initially thought. The hardest part was moving the lines in a way that created a simplistic shape, that was in a geomagnetic type style and used the smallest amount of detail possible.

Here is the illustration:

The lines were strategically placed in the illustration to create justification towards not only the image but flow through with the background and body text/heading ect..

This was created inn illustrator.

Advertisements

The Telephone Story

After hours surfing the internet for a theme for the DG magazine I was about to create I came across this image of an old 1930’s candlestick telephone. I instantly developed a liking for the shape that it created and the meaning and story that it possessed.

I still wonted to do a lined illustration as this was very popular in the art deco era. But at the same time keeping it simple, no using too many lines and using full shapes were possible.

This will also be incorporated into my type face – very light, thin, to match the line work of the image. Something like Helvetica Niue or gill sans just to name some of the top of my head.

As for the heading I’m thinking along the lines of an art deco font, very bold and dominant that is accented with thin geometric stye lines.

Image of candle stick phone:

DG Magazine

Finally decided to upload all my DG magazine stuff

Here is some of the inspiration I drew upon in creating my design:

Initially I had this Idea that I would create a line illustration of a 1930 ish art deco looking car. This fell through as I found it far too complex. I was just about to put pen to paper when I decided to scrap the idea.

This image has very effective font and colours that I hope to use in my design. It creates a good visual tension as well as a balanced hierarchy.

The heading again attracted my attention right away. Its bold, has a great texture looking effect that jumps out at you. I like the colours of the depthie blue, creams and reds.

This is again going on with my line illustration idea that I stated with. Another great art deco inspired car design which has a great shape

At this point its quite clear to me that I defiantly need to incorporate some kind of tonal shapes which create effective movement type feelings. Secondly the use of greys and cream type colours are also used quite often. On that note I will defiantly have to incorporate these points into my design.

This gave me the inspiration to use simple shapes, geometrical shapes which create some kind of depth within them. I also really like the tone and unity that the clouds are creating in this depiction. Maybe I could use this as a background of some sort?

The simplicity of just the grey and black create such an elegance, great contrast between the colours and creates effective dominance through different tones, creating balanced hierarchy. What I really like is the way that the different sized font are used.

Use the photos of the cars in a rendition of the image above, very subtle mid tones but dominating creams and darker tone values.

Different perspective, distortion of images and vibrant complimentary colours!!

Crucial part of the storyline

This long strip of paper is in fact 4 a4 sheets stuck together and drawn on. This piece made up the space. the planets and sky looking objects that flowed through the movie. I got the sense of movement, or flight in this case by keeping the plane stationary whils I fed the long strip of paper through.

I added this scene to the short clip as it showed in a sense the journey wether it be rough or calm in the graphic design industry. A sense of journeying into uncharted areas……out of your comfort zone, those sort of subconscious things I was trying to hint on.

The Process/setup

All the photos were taken in my bedroom. I turned all the lights off and was using luminosity solely from two desk lamps strategically placed  next to the camera. This was of course so that I could easily come back to the project at any given time. Of which I could regulate the lighting to what ever I desired.

Some pictures of the set up can be found here:

iMovie

I imported all my photos into iMove and then began the long and time consuming part. Timing

With all 1,074 photos imported in to the project I found that it was far to slow and went for to long. To cater for this issue I ended up deleting every second photo almost. Some areas needed more attention then others, the part where I had the plain flying was by far the most difficult. To mack it a smooth as possible I had to keep most of the photos although the problem of it being too slow was still an evident issue.

I ended up balancing this out by equally deleting photos as well as extending the time a photo was displayed for.

My final edited piece was cut from 2min 30sec to 1min 8sec but still managed to contain a smooth flowing type feel.